Monday, July 6, 2015


Now that the tractor is home the first thing I want to do is get it running to see what kind of shape the engine is in.  From talks in the past with Frank I’m guessing some major engine work will be in order.  He had commented on the amount of oil it burns so new rings and sleeves are likely in order and if I tear into it that much a complete overhaul may make sense.  But, first things first.

When we were picking it up I had tried to start it only to find that when the gas was turned on it just ran out of the carburetor (float stuck open?).  Obviously it didn’t start hence the reason for winching it onto the trailer.  So last week I ordered a carburetor overhaul kit from Mcdonald carb and a new set of spark plug wires (copper core and cloth coated like the originals) from Brillman.  Tearing into the carb it was clear it wouldn’t run in its present condition.  The screen that filters the gas coming into the carb, for example, was loaded with rust.  Hopefully the gas tank is not the same, I’ll check that later.  I also needed to get a new air pre-cleaner tube that goes from the carb to the air filter as it was missing.  Surprisingly I found one on eBay (gotta love eBay).
"New" tube from ebay
Carb cleaned awaiting rebuild kit

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Getting a little ahead of myself on the project I also purchased a front grill off of eBay.  It looked to be in good shape but with some rust which shouldn’t be a problem as long as it’s not rusted through somewhere.  That set me back $120 but it cost an additional $68 to ship the darn thing from Connecticut.   Here's a picture of the present grill...a bit beyond repair.  I'll post a picture of the replacement when it arrives.
Also, here's a pic Stephanie took a few days back of our hay cutting.  We finished baling on July third.  Steph described the hot weather during haying this year as punishing.  Well put!
Cutting hay with the 1959 Ford 861

 








No comments:

Post a Comment