Wednesday, August 26, 2015

So I posted the picture of the metal parts that I found in the bottom of differential case on the YTMag forum and the consensus was as I suspected; the parts were from a bearing.  One person had an interesting comment: Where's the ball bearings?  Good point, they should be in there still at the bottom of the case.  I need to get a magnate to slide in the drain hole and see what else is in there.  Additionally the consensus was to open it up and see what's going on in the transmission.  It's possible that the pieces remained in there from a previous repair that Frank may have done but that's probably wishful thinking.  Unfortunately getting into the transmission is no small task and will involve removing the seat, the steering column, the gas tank, the belt pulley and then remove a large heavy steel cover plate.  The first thing was to get all the rusted bolts loose related to all these parts so I was back to several days of spraying penetrating oil.  Today I was able to get everything loosened but the bolts on the cover plate were a real challenge as about half of them were very rusted and not their original size or shape.  Going down in socket size and switching between metric and standard sizes, pounding each socket onto the bolt when I found the right size allowed for a good grip on the bolt and its eventual removal.
You can see the loosened bolts here.  Under the steel plate is the transmission.
I'm not sure when I'll get to removing the seat, gas tank, etc., but since this isn't yet a working tractor time is a luxury I have for once.

Keeping an eye on EBay I found a few needed parts and since there were no other bidders the opening bid won.  So sometime this week the mailman should be delivering an Amp Box, and air cleaner and the cap that goes with it.  I was very happy with the price but shipping cost more than the parts - still a good deal.  The parts are coming from a guy in Wisconsin that is parting out an H.  Here's a picture of the Amp Box that I'll be replacing. 


I'll try to still use the existing face plate since all the ones I've seen for sale have not only the amp meter but also a dial below it for the lights.  This one doesn't have a hole for the light dial so apparently the tractor was not purchased with that option.  I hope to use the amp meter from the one I purchased if it works and then the box it goes in since this one is all corroded around the edge where the faceplate fits on (can't really see it from this pic). 

Here's a couple of pics from this year's hay crop.  The baler is a New Holland 271 that I purchased sixteen years ago for $400.  It took a bit of work but has been a pretty good baler for us since we only make about 600 bales a year.  It's one my newest pieces of equipment being built sometime between 1961 and 1963.

That's Eclipse wishing his neck was a bit longer

No comments:

Post a Comment